Lucerne is perfect if you just have a couple of days to spare. The journey is so easy - a short flight to Zurich, down the escalator to the train station and you are on your way to picturesque Lake Lucerne.
The station’s arched front is impressive when you arrive and it has a shopping centre that’s open from early morning to late evening, 365 days a year!
The station and the town are on the lake shore, so just five minutes on foot over the bridge and you have the lake stretching out before you. Stroll around the old town with its cobbled streets and beautiful water fountain. It’s a good idea to take an empty water flask with you and take advantage of the many fresh water fountains where you can fill up for free!
Marvel at the old covered bridge with the Medieval paintings that were placed to inspire the poor people crossing over the river to go to work for the rich people. Visit the free church with its beautiful interior and excellent acoustics – you might be lucky enough to find that there is a concert on.
Why not treat yourself to some chocolate tasting - try Max Chocolatier where the quality is exquisite.
There are a number of lovely hotels too. Hotel Schweizerhof has a prime position overlooking the lakeshore promenade and art deco Hotel Montana has beautiful views from its hillside setting, just a few minutes walk from the city centre.
Your Swiss travel pass includes local buses as well and a short bus ride will take you to the cable car for an epic trip up Mount Pilatus. You can do a round trip by train, boat, bus, cable car and mountain cog railway (the steepest in the world!) The views are breath taking at 7000 feet above sea level. If you have time, spend the night at the Hotel Pilatus -Kulm and enjoy dark skies star viewing. Even more, enjoy a sumptuous dinner in the Queen Victoria dining room, named after a Royal Visit – the ultimate in elegant fine dining.
With a quick and efficient travel system, Switzerland is a wonderfully scenic option for a quick outdoor getaway that will leave you high on fresh air and chocolate!
Can I tell you more? Help you enjoy the Alps and the Lake? Then meet me in the gallery!
Why not treat yourself? Why not stay at Buergenstock Hotel and Resort?
- Location: 500 meters above Lake Lucerne, 1h from Zurich airport
- Transfer: Free shuttle-service from Lucerne – Resort: High speed catamaran + mountain funicular
- 4 Hotels:
- 5* superior Bürgenstock Hotel & Alpine Spa
- 5* Waldhotel Health & Medical Excellence
- 4* superior Palace Hotel
- 3* Taverne
- Private Residence Suites with hotel/concierge services
- 10 Restaurants, Bars & Lounges: From traditional Swiss (farm to table) to Asian & oriental dining experiences.
- Spa & Medical:
- 10’000 m2 Alpine Spa with breathtaking infinity-edge pool, private spa suites and kids club
- Health & Medical Wellness at Waldhotel for detox, weight loss, beauty programs, check-ups
- Activities: Cinema, Golf, tennis, ice-skating, hiking, water sports and close-by skiing options
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
No, I'm not a Travel Guru, but I have loved travelling since I was five years old, and more than love travel... I love to share my experiences... and show you our Wonderful World through my eyes!